Sunday, May 10, 2009

Gila Monster

I'm sitting at the computer in Greg's house, when he calls me outside to see something. As I come out, he's got a canoe paddle behind a workbench, trying to get something out from behind it. He tells me it's a Gila Monster (pronounced 'Heela'), a lizard found primarily in the southwest. So I'm picturing this little gecko type thing, when all of a sudden...


I'm standing there, barefoot, and he's prodding the thing with a canoe paddle so that I can get a better look. Apparently they are quite sluggish, so there isn't a huge threat to humans. Oh, but by the way, if it does bite you, they eject poisonous venom. Awesome. Here's a better idea of how big it is:


Greg enjoyed playing with the little guy, moving him around with the paddle. Eventually, however, he captured it to move it away from the house. He doesn't want the Gila making a little home just outside the house. I'm not sure where he put it, but I don't think I want to know. Even though that thing is too slow to ever get near enough to bite me, I really don't want to see it again. 

By the way, please pardon my boyfriend's attire. He spent the afternoon welding in the carport. It's a messy job, but some body's gotta do it.

No comments: