Looking for a real job for the first time has become a little overwhelming for me. In the past, I've had to apply for many jobs, of course. However, they were always easy to capture. For example, nursing assistants were always in high demand, so when I applied for a job, I was hired immediately. Plus, those jobs were easy to find. But now...not so easy. Furthermore, I wasn't looking for a career as I am now.
I listen to the news each day and find out that more and more companies are laying people off...and that unemployment rates continue to rise. Awesome. I think I'm going to stop watching the news, the radio, and using the internet. Just to feel better. :)
Having a Masters in Public Health gives me a little edge, sure, but I haven't figured out yet just how much. It's an interesting field, public health. Pretty broad and unique. A lot of people have been asking me lately what kind of job I'm looking for. The thing is, I'm not looking for a specific job, per say. Ideally, I'm just looking for something that won't bore me half-way through the work week (or day even); something that I can actually apply my (expensive) SLU education towards; something that will actually help others, and hold a meaning to me. And overall, it has to be something that challenges me. With that said, I'll add some more specifics...
I've decided that there are two "fields" that I'm going to apply in. The first one would be a more general "public health" position. This could be something in health research, a program coordinator for an organization's health "stuff"...basically I'd be using all the skills I've developed over the last couple of years via my work as a research assistant and my internship in addition to some of the general education I received at SLU. Now this is pretty broad, and there are a lot of companies/organizations that would possibly have this position. I just need to do the research and find them.
The second area of interest to me is "environmental health and safety." I can't apply as an industrial hygienist, as my training wasn't specific enough for that role. However, I can work under an IH as their assistant, and work my up to that position with additional workshop-based training and certification. I think this would be a great role for me (an assistant), since I have the organizational and administrative skills to be very useful to an EHS team. I'd essentially be using the skills/education from some of my more specific environmental classes at SLU. This field is a little more specific, and found in many of your larger manufacturing companies. However, the department itself is rather small, with a small turnover. Therefore, the jobs are more scarce. There is a generation in this field that is beginning to retire, but unfortunately I can't fill their roles without the expensive and lengthy training at this point. Again, more research to find companies that hire people like me.
That's the overview at this point. I'm headed to the library today to begin some intense research. Prayers are welcomed as I try and find not the perfect job, but just something that God has molded me to do. A place where I can honor Him and use all the gifts that He has blessed me with over the years. I belive that God is above our country's economy, and can work in ways we will never ever understand.
1 comment:
Hey Becca,
Love your blog. I know your heart is torn between two different worlds right now, but God has you right where He wants you. His plans are always right on time! I'm glad you're still here at any rate.
Love ya,
Tina
Post a Comment