Inquiring minds want to know, so here is an update on the job hunt:
My Friday afternoons have been spent at the library, using their free wireless Internet to search for and apply to jobs in Tucson. Basically, I've been applying to anything that I have experience for or am interested in or qualified to do. I've even been contacting HR departments via email to see if companies are hiring, giving them my resume in the process. Career Builder, Monster and Craigslist have all been added to my "sites I look at daily." Some of the jobs I've applied to include research positions (assistant, coordinator), employee health and safety jobs (entry level, of course) and most recently, pharmaceutical sales. Pharm sales is a new idea for me. I've had a few friends put a bug in my ear that they think I'd be a great rep. For some reason, they say that I have a way with talking people into things, that I'm very personable, and that I'm attractive. Well! I'm not sure how true all of that is, but I can think of other traits that would allow me to do well as a pharm sales rep (based on my education, of course!).
Anyway...I can't tell you how many jobs I've applied to over the last few weeks, nor how many times I've emailed out my resume to random companies. It's a lot. And I don't think I want to know what that number is-it might upset me.
But I do have good news...I was contacted yesterday by one of the companies I applied to! And this is quite funny, so I have to share it with you. I was at work, and I noticed that I had a voicemail on my phone, and I realized immediately that the missed call was from Arizona (I have the area code memorized already). So I checked the message...
"Hello, this is Marcia from the V-A. I'm calling in regards to the research assistant position you applied for. Please call me at..."
The V-A? I applied to the office of veterans affairs? When did I do that?
So I checked my outbox to see if I had contacted this company on my own. Nothing. I checked career builder to see if it was a job I applied to through there. Nothing. Oh well!! Must be something from God then!
I called Marcia later that afternoon when I arrived home from work. She asked me some questions about my experience, and why I wanted to do research. And before I knew it, we were setting up a date and time for an interview in Tucson! I couldn't believe it! And in all my excitement, I failed to ask Marcia what job I was interviewing for! I have no idea what type of research they conduct, what my job duties entail-if it's anything I really want to do anyway! After laughing at myself for some time, I checked to see if Marcia sent the confirmation email with directions she promised. Sure enough, she had. Looking at her signature at the end of the email, the light bulb came on.
"Biomedical Research & Education Foundation of Southern Arizona."
Ah, yes. That looked familiar. In fact, it was a job I applied to through careerbuilder. I recalled Marcia mentioning that their office is at the V-A, but they are not associated with the V-A. But it was a general research position, that shared very little details. I guess I'll have to get those details at the interview.
I have a job interview. In Tucson. WOW!
God is so good. :)
1 comment:
Believe it or not, I had sent 40 resumes out in NYC for research-related positions (not including the 20+ resumes for teaching/coaching positions) before I landed my current job as HSS. Great news to hear about the interview in Tucson. Best of luck and hopefully this jumpstarts a great 2009 for you. All the best :)
Joe
Post a Comment