Wednesday, November 18, 2009

A little about white turquoise

With Greg closing on the house, and me flying home first thing in the morning this Saturday, we decided to celebrate my birthday a little early. A couple weeks ago we went camping at Jackson Cabin, the activity I chose to celebrate my turning 29. WOW, I still cannot believe I am 29!

My wonderful boyfriend purchased a beautiful bracelet for my birthday gift. It is a sterling silver braclet that holds a large white turquoise stone laced with horse hair. I wish I could share a picture with you, but since my camera is broken, and Greg's is not available to me, I cannot.

I thought I would share a neat story with you about white turquoise. I was only aware of one type of turquoise before meeting Greg, which is the standard turquoise-colored stone. But now I know of green blue and even white stones. Apparently the white turquoise is a pretty rare stone. It wasn't discovered until 1993 in a mine in Nevada. Turquoise gets its color from the heavy metals in the ground where it forms. Blue turquoise forms where there is copper present (most Arizona turquoise). Green turquoise forms where iron is present (most Nevada turquoise). White turquoise, where there are no heavy metals present, turns out to be rare. To date no other vein of white turquoise has been discovered anywhere else. Pretty interesting!!

No comments: