Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Knocking on God's Door

I have some great pictures from the weekend to post, but they are on Greg's camera. And Greg's camera is at Greg's house. So I will post these in the near future.

Tonight, however, I'd like to post the devotional I meditated on this morning during my yummy oatmeal with fresh blueberries. Please note that this comes from the Women's Devotional Bible...

Read: Luke 18:1-17

"I've been laid off again," said Jim.

"But that's the third time in five years," said Nan. "what will we do? Do you have severance pay?" Jim shook his head no.

Nan collapsed onto a kitchen chair, tears slipping down her cheeks. "I can't go through this again."

They were both middle-aged, and jobs were hard to find. They had children who needed clothing, parents who needed help. Together, they decided to place their future in God's hands and plead their case before him day and night. Every morning, they read God's Word together and prayed. At dinnertime they prayed too, asking God to provide a job.

Several weeks later, a woman they'd met at a job center told them about an opening. Armed with the knowledge that God is faithful and that he answers prayer according to his purpose, Jim applied for the job. Jim and Nan had knocked long and hard on heaven's door for job openings, and it took a long time for their prayers to be answered. This time, within a week, Jim was hired.

Unlike the widow in Jesus' parable who went before an unjust judge, Jim and Nan called upon a loving Father. The widow had no friend to speak for her, but Jim and Nan had Jesus-the One who lives to intercede. The widow only had access to the judge at certain times, while this couple had access to their heavenly Father morning, noon and night. In one area they were similar: like the widow, Jim and Nan were persistent; they did not give up.

And God answered.

You may be praying and waiting for something: a baby, a job, a husband, a ministry. Keep praying. Day and night. He will answer in the way that he sees fit. They answer may not look like what you were imagining, but it will be for your good.

-----------------

This devotional was a great reminder to me today about how blessed I am to be where I am today. This morning I reflected upon all that I went through before moving to Tucson just three months ago (I can't believe it's already been over 3 months!). I started aggressively searching for a job right after the new year, exhausting all resources available. Some days I didn't think I'd ever get a job in the southwest. Others, I would have a lead on a job, only to be later let down. Many nights I fell asleep in tears, wondering if I'd ever have my prayers answered. But I persisted, praying ALL THE TIME. That is no exaggeration! I was always asking God to help me find something, somewhere, that would allow me to move to Tucson to be closer to Greg. MANY of my family and friends prayed with me continuously. I was frustrated many days...

Eventually, everything worked out. I found a job, found a place to live and moved to Tucson all in the matter of a couple of weeks. Nothing was as I imagined it to be-but it was way better. What a blessing it all was...

I don't think that I have been blessed because I am a Christian. I cannot say exactly why things worked out the way they did. Only God knows the answer to that. Certainly things could have gone differently. I do believe that because I put a lot of my hope, faith and trust into the hands of God, things did work out for the best. Had I tried to do the majority of it on my own (which did cross my mind numerous times), I don't think the end result would have been as positive. Who knows where I would be and what I would be doing had I been strong willed enough not to let go and let God take care of me.

Again, I am thankful for where I am today. I continue to pray that God will help me along the way, and show me my purpose here in Tucson. I look forward to seeing all that He has in store for me here...

"And will not God bring about justice for His chosen ones, who cry out to him day and night? Will He keep putting them off?" ~Luke 18:7

"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened." ~Matthew 7:7-8

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to his purpose." ~Romans 8:28

No comments: