Tuesday, February 24, 2009

February is believing

Ok, so I'm cheating for this month's memory verse. I kinda already know it, but not really well enough to be able to just rattle it off. As I kept thinking about what to memorize this month, these words seemed to keep floating into my little brain:

"And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to His purpose for them." ~Romans 8:28

I think the reason I like this verse so much is not only the words found within that one sentence, but the context of the scripture, and what is found surrounding it:

"And the Holy Spirit helps us in our distress. For we don't even know what we should pray for, nor how we should pray. But the Holy Spirit prays for us with groanings that cannot be expressed in words. And the Father who knows all hearts knows what the Spirit is saying, for the Spirit pleads for us believers in harmony with God's own will. And we know that God causes all things to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to His purpose for them. For God knew His people in advance, and He chose them to become like His Son, so that His Son would be the firstborn, with many brothers and sisters. And having chosen them, He called them to come to Him. And He gave them right standing with Himself, and He promised them His glory." ~Romans 8:26-30

Pretty neat stuff, huh?

During this time of my life, when I am searching out a career in Tucson, I find myself not even sure what I should be praying for. Especially a couple of weeks ago when I was preparing for my trip out for that first real interview. I didn't know if I wanted the job. I wasn't sure if I should pray that I get an offer, or if I should pray that something else would pop up while I was in town. It's been pretty overwhelming, to say the least. And then, I worry about the mistakes I could be making. What if I'm applying to the wrong jobs? Was there something else I should have put on my resume to make me look like a more attractive candidate? Am I really able to prove my experience with a simple email?

What if I just totally mess up?

Lots of questions in this little mind of mine. But this chunk of scripture lends some pretty great comfort to me. How great is it that as believers, we are not alone in our struggles? Even when we don't even know what words to lift up to God, the Holy Spirit jumps in and helps us out-even when we don't realize it. And it's all "in harmony with God's own will." Isn't that what we want anyway? God's will? It's what I want!

Furthermore...He causes it ALL to work together for the good...ALL OF IT! Meaning we can't really mess things up! How great is that? No matter what we chose to do, God will make sure that it ends up going according to His will. One of the things I appreciate in Greg, is that he is constantly reminding me of God's grace and amazing works. "Rebecca, you can't mess things up. Remember, God's in control," he'll say. "Believe it." And he's totally right.

So this month, even as the end of it is upon us, I have continued to believe. That God's will for me will be done, and that I can't mess it up. Perhaps I should memorize all 5 of those verses.

No comments: