Saturday, August 22, 2009

The day after a monsoon

I experienced a "real" monsoon yesterday. Sitting at my desk at work, I heard the strong winds against our building. It was extremely dark outside, and the mountains weren't visible. I looked outside to see the rain coming down and saw palm trees blown over, in a vertical position. Traffic was at a standstill as the main road was flooded with the downpour of rain. It was AWESOME. Lightening everywhere, winds blowing hard, rain coming down like there was no tomorrow.

Then, in a matter of minutes, it was all over. The temperature outside dropped 30 degrees within an hour as the humidity remained high. By the time I left the office an hour later, it was if nothing had happened. The roads were dry, trees were upright, and the storms had moved on.

Later in the evening, as Greg and I watched a movie, the storms returned. We listened as the rain pounded on the roof and watched the lightening dance in the distance. The flashes of light illuminated the mountains, reminding us of how enormous they are. The rain continued through the night, cooling the air to temperatures in the low 70's. It was quite the relief.

The next morning, I awoke to find beautiful clouds scattered throughout the sky. They were low-laying; mostly made of moisture and ready to break apart over the valley. And through this clouds the mountains arose like giants. It was incredible. Greg's house is at a little higher elevation...so as I drove to work this morning, I descended into the foggy clouds I viewed from his house. Not having to work today, Greg took some time to capture the beauty that is present during monsoon season in Tucson.


No comments: