Thursday, April 23, 2009

Introducing Plan B

So here's the deal with the whole looking-for-work-in-public-health-deal...there are NO new positions opening up anytime soon. With the economy as it is right now, this is one of the fields taking a huge hit, and I don't expect it to get any better any time soon. Because of this, it appears that I am either too-techincally trained or not trained enough to be hired in many of the jobs I have a huge interest in. Lucky me, eh?

I need a job in order to make the move to Tucson. I can't be relying on others (mainly my cowboy boyfriend) to pay my rent and provide for me in this new place while the economy is in a downturn and I can't get a job. So I have to do something logical that will not only give me something to do in the short-term, but also prepare me for future life plans. And with this, I present to you my Plan B.

What is the profession that will ALWAYS be in hiring, no matter what the economy is, or where I am living? NURSING.

Now, I realize you might be thinking..."But you just finally got out of school, and now you are going to go back?" Trust me, that's all I'm thinking about too. But I think it will be a great investment. I'm hoping to go through an accelerated BSN program, where I'll complete the degree in approximately 14 months. Afterwards, the opportunities will be tremendous. A little slow at first, putting in a couple of years of patient care, but then I can get into the exciting stuff of infectious disease!

But like the title says, it's only a plan B. I wouldn't be able to start school until next summer, so I am currently looking for work as a nursing assistant. Meanwhile, I will continue to pursue employment in the public health field. If next April comes along, and I have been accepted to a nursing program, and nothing better has come along, then I will go back to school. We're just going to try and take things as they come. I figure that, if God doesn't want me to do this nursing thing, he's going to shut that door. So we shall see!!!

No comments: