I decided to be a part of a bible study this summer with the Living Proof Ministries online group led by Beth Moore. If you've ever done a study by Ms. Moore, you know that she is extremely gifted and blessed. She has a heart for teaching the bible, especially to women of all ages. I have always enjoyed both her books and her studies. I can't seem to get enough of her...
Every other summer or so, she encourages her "siestas" to get together throughout the country for a summer bible study. Typically, this study is written by one of her fellow bible teaching sisters. This summer, she has selected Gideon: Your Weakness. God's Strength. by Priscilla Shirer. Every other week, Beth posts a video devotional for all the gals to watch and meditate on. Ideally, women would get together to watch this and discuss the study. This is really an amazing community - even those who may be doing the study on their own can feel like they are a part of a large group of women. Their online blog allows you to "check in" and share while checking out all the other gals doing the study. It's really neat! In my case, I am just doing the study with my girlfriend, Aly. She is currently in another state on vacation (lucky girl!!), so we are working on the daily studies individually, then checking in on each other via email. I am hoping that when she returns we can get together to watch Beth's bi-weekly videos and have some great discussion.
So....Gideon. An interesting character in a very small portion of the Old Testament. Only 3 chapters to be exact! This study, as noted in the title, is to help us discover how God can use our weaknesses to glorify Him and do His work. I am really excited about it. I just finished week 1 yesterday morning, and already am feeling quite convicted. It's just that I am in a season of my life where I am somewhat in a "holding pattern"....kinda doing the same old every day, just waiting for something exciting to happen. I am concerned that I am missing out on what God has in store for me because I am not hearing Him speak to me; or that I mistake His nudging for something else. One reason for doing this study is so I can discover what His purpose is for me during this season of my life. I don't know that I know what that is....and if I am willing to accept that purpose. I want to be able to....so we shall see.
Stay tuned for more from Gideon....
No comments:
Post a Comment