Friday, November 12, 2010

It's a "broid"!

Greg and I didn't tell a lot of people, but a couple of months ago, a visit with my GYN determined that there was something growing inside of me. We knew we weren't pregnant, but I had been experiencing some symptoms that warranted this visit. She ordered an ultrasound, which revealed that my uterus was twice the size it was supposed to be, and there was a fibroid tumor somewhere inside of it (Greg kept referring to it as a "Broid"). I was then referred to a GYN specialist. He recommended that I have the fibroid remove, stating that he could do it laporascopically. So that's what we did, earlier this week. I had laporascopic surgery to have the fibroid removed.

What is a fibroid tumor? Its a benign growth and actually pretty common among women, usually later in life. It is unknown what causes them, but it is thought their growth is fueled by hormones. They can be found inside or outside the uterus, or growing within the muscular uterine wall. Some women have small fibroids, which will grow during pregnancy, but then shrink back down afterwards. In my case, I had quite a large fibroid, estimated to be 12 cm in diameter, that was growing inside of the uterine wall. Because of it's size, the concern was that if I were to become pregnant, the fetus would be fighting for space with the fibroid. It was also an unsafe size fibroid for my smaller frame. Some of the symptoms I was experiencing from the fibroid included severe cramping during my periods, as well has heavy bleeding and large blood clots. Also, because it was so large, the fibroid caused me to urinate frequently. Essentially, I was told that my uterus was at the same size/stage as someone who was 4 months pregnant.

Fortunately, we had a great surgeon. He was successful in removing the fibroid, although it was more work than he anticipated. The fibroid's size was over 13 cm, measuring in at 1.5 lbs. We expected a 1.5-2 hour surgery, but it was 4. I lost some blood (1.75 pints), but did not need a blood transfusion. My anesthetist was also great, as I had absolutely no nausea after the surgery. He also did a great job knocking me out while keeping me awake; apparently I joked around with everyone in pre-op, but I have no recollection of this!

I was in the hospital for one night only. Greg has been a wonderful caretaker, attending to my every need. He is even keeping ice cream stocked in the freezer! I'll be on leave from work for the rest of the week, and for sure through the next. I am due to see the doctor the following week. In three months, I will have an ultrasound to see how the uterus is healing and if there is any new fibroid growth. Since I have had fibroids already, I am at a risk for developing them again. We, of course, are hoping this isn't the case, at least not until after we are able to expand our family. But we will just take things day by day.

We are very thankful for so many things. Although this has been an unfortunate experience, we are happy it happened at a time before we planned on having children. I now have plenty of time to heal before we start trying to get pregnant. Also, God lead us to the right people at the right time. Both my GYN and Surgeon were fantastic, and I am looking forward to working with them more in the future. Many people prayed for me the days leading up to my surgery and during the procedure, all which were heard and felt. Our church small group has brought us meals to help keep us nourished as I currently cannot cook. Thank you to all who have been so supportive, encouraging and prayerful for us! We are so blessed.....

2 comments:

elise said...

so glad it went well and glad that you have a good support system and friends there who can/will help you:O)

Tim and Liz Casey said...

I love you! That's about all for now. :-)