Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Weekend of Showers

I'm not talking rain showers, but wedding showers!!!

Last weekend I flew back to the Midwest in order to attend three events hosted in my honor. The time just flew by, and I felt that I hardly was able to speak with anyone at length. But I was able to see a lot of folks I hadn't seen in a while, and show off my ring! It struck me as I was leaving Tucson that most of my friends (and future family members) still hadn't seen the ring Greg gave me only 3 months ago.

My flight out of Tucson was delayed a day, due to a snow storm in Dallas, go figure! But I made it safe and sound, with plenty of time to get ready for my first shower in Collinsville, IL. The shower was hosted at Copper Creek, the church family with which Greg spent many years of his life. This was the church that I was a member of during my time in St Louis. I too think of this as my church family, as so many of the members prayed for and supported me during my time in grad school and my life before Tucson. My friends and future sisters-in-law prepared a wonderful gathering and spread of food for all the attendees.

Check out the gift table!!




I have to admit, I hated being the center of attention that night. Opening all those gifts in front of everyone was not as enjoyable as I'd hoped. But I did receive some wonderful things!! I felt so blessed after opening the gifts. Greg and are certainly loved by the people of Copper Creek. We are so fortunate....

My friends Liz and Christie, who organized the main event. Thank you ladies!!!


Saturday morning, we set off for Wisconsin. It was a beautiful day for a drive, as we took two cars to head up to Oshkosh. That evening was the bacchelorette party! My mom, Greg's mom, her friend, my sisters and my girlfriends had a night out on the town. We had a nice dinner to start, followed by yummy gourmet cupcakes and fun drinks. It was a great way to celebrate! Here is a picture of all the ladies who celebrated with me:


Sunday afternoon held the shower at the church in which I grew up. College friends, chuch friends, high school friends and family were all in attendance. Just as I was about to sit down with my food, I was surprised by a group of older men wearing white jackets. Someone had ordered me a singing valentine!! This barbershop quartet sang a few songs to me, making me blush more than once. It was certainly a treat, and I know everyone enjoyed it!



A picture of the ladies in my immediate family. Clockwise from top left, my sister Sarah, my mom (Ruth), my other sister Rachel, my Grandmother (dad's mom), my niece Asha and myself.


All the gifts received were wonderful and full of thought. I couldn't wait to tell Greg all about them! Again, I felt very blessed as I opened these gifts from ladies that love me. It was very humbling and encouraging. I truly felt very fortunate to have so much support and encouragement for the marriage I am about to embark upon with Greg.

Thank you to everyone who shared their love with me that weekend!!

No comments: